Deceptive Cadence un-stuffs the world of classical music, which is both fusty and ferociously alive.
- A disciplined plea for peace – and quiet – from composer Arvo Pärtby Tom Huizenga on November 10, 2023 at 5:28 pm
A new album of music by the 88-year-old Estonian mystic seems to put an arm around you and whisper, "In troubled times, music can help."
- After 12 years, pianist Awadagin Pratt rediscovers his sweet spotby Tom Huizenga on August 25, 2023 at 5:07 pm
Absent from the recording studio for more than a decade, the restless musician has commissioned six composers for his new album.
- The voice of Jessye Norman soars again in trove of unreleased recordingsby Tom Huizenga on March 24, 2023 at 3:22 pm
A new collection of recordings finally freed from the vaults offers a chance to hear one of opera's greatest artists sing Wagner, Strauss, Berlioz and more.
- Does 'Tár' tell us anything about Mahler's 5th Symphony?by Tom Huizenga on March 7, 2023 at 2:41 pm
The music that haunts the Oscar-nominated film is a calling card for conductor Rafael Payare.
In-depth stories from NPR Music staff and radio programs.
- Sampha: Tiny Desk Concertby Ashley Pointer on November 29, 2023 at 10:00 am
The artist returns to the Tiny Desk for a full circle moment of a performance.
- A judge awards Aretha Franklin's properties to her sons, citing a handwritten willby The Associated Press on November 29, 2023 at 5:38 am
The decision Monday came four months after a Detroit-area jury said the document was a valid will under Michigan law, despite scribbles and many hard-to-read passages.
- 'Mr. Big Stuff' singer Jean Knight has died at age 80by Anastasia Tsioulcas on November 28, 2023 at 11:42 pm
Jean Knight, the New Orleans-born soul singer behind the infectious 1971 hit "Mr. Big Stuff," has died. She was 80.
- John Cale, ever restless, keeps moving out of his comfort zoneby Manuela López Restrepo on November 28, 2023 at 8:29 pm
With a legendary musical career that spans decades, John Cale is still restlessly creating and collaborating on new music.